|Beach front at the Fort Recovery Hotel , Tortola Virgin Islands (British)|
We may not all agree on the same things that makes us happy as individuals as it varies from one person to another, yet one truth that we cannot deny is that family and relationships are the secret ways to happiness. To further articulate this point of differences in what makes people happy, I draw from one of Helen Keller's quotes, that says, "It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we feel, and think and do first for the other fellow and then for ourselves."
Mahatma Gandhi once made a very interesting statement also on the subject of happiness when he said, "Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony." The sentiments of both of these authors were outlined in an article I wrote previously that people are happy for varying reasons. Again happiness is an individual thing, just as it has different meanings to different persons. And so just in case you missed the article then, here is a link "Don't Worry, Just Be Happy...."
My top 12 best kept secrets to my happiness..
- My personal relationship with God our Creator, and my faith in Him.For me it is not about religion - it's my personal creed in life of who I believe Him to be while I depend on Him to provide me with direction and to give me a sense of purpose.
- Spending quality time with my family, especially my daughters doing "girlie" / girls stuff, and looking back at old family photos together as we reminisce about the moment the photo was captured.
- I am extremely happy when I get a quiet moment to myself. For me it is refreshing, it's the time I am able to 'unwind,' re-connect with my inner-self, refresh and rejuvenate my spirit.
- Another major factor of what makes me happy is spending time at the beach on a sunny day and enjoying what mother nature has to offer - it's captivating!
- One attitude that contributes to my personal happiness is my refusal to compare myself with others - I don't mind getting lost in the crowd or going in the opposite direction of where they are going.
- Cuddling and seeing a couple, young or old having a PDA moment brings great joy to my heart.
- Waking up on a morning and realizing it is the start of the weekend and that I am able to sleep in longer than I normally would do gives me a 'yeah' and a happy moment.
- I am happiest when I am engaged in activities that brings out my analytical skills, and makes me forget about myself as I loose track of the time.
- When I am able to solve difficult problems, joy and happiness comes to my heart.
- It is great for me when I make and meet new friends especially like minded persons.
- A quick thank you from the boss is another great pick-me-upper - it lets me know that my contribution to the organization is appreciated.
- I love pleasant surprises and small gestures from family and friends - these go a long way and are not easily forgotten.
My final thoughts
Everyone deserves to be happy. Pace yourself and start each day with great expectations. Do the best at whatever you are good at as often as you can do them. Do what God requires of you. Reward yourself with something of your own choice for what you were able to accomplish. End each day with gratitude - giving thanks to God for the many blessings of the day. In the final analysis, true happiness comes from God.
Let's talk about it
What about you? What makes you happy? Can you think of a time past when you did something for someone, or perhaps someone did something for you that was most memorable and happy moment?